Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain

Дата публикации: 20-08-2026 16:55:07

​Couple and their two children to live somewhere outside London, six years after they ⁠stepped down from royal ‌duties

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Britain’s prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle plan to move back to the UK this month, six years after they quit royal duties and relocated to the US, ‌from where they repeatedly criticised the royal family and lambasted the British press.

A person close to the couple said they would move from California to somewhere outside London for an extended period with their children, prince Archie (7) and princess Lilibet (5), who will go to school in ​Britain.

The surprise news marks the latest twist for a couple who railed against a string of British institutions after they left in 2020, with Harry accusing the royals of neglect, the tabloid press of ruining his life and the government of failing to provide enough security for him to ever return home.

Britain’s king Charles, who media reports said welcomed having his youngest son and his family closer, only found out about the move on Sunday. Harry and Meghan will not live in a royal residence and will remain non-working royals, as agreed ​with the late queen Elizabeth.

READ MORE

Harry’s spokesperson and Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

Harry married Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle in 2018, and it was hoped his union with the former actor would reinvigorate the historic institution for a new generation.

But ⁠cracks in their relationship with the rest of the royal family began to emerge. In March 2020, they announced they would step down from official duties and move to the ‌US, ‌saying ​they wanted to leave behind the “toxic” press scrutiny they faced in Britain.

They settled in the wealthy seaside enclave of Montecito, near Santa Barbara, California, with media reports putting the 2020 purchase price of their 16-bedroom home at $14.7 million (€12.7 million), a property which they will keep.

In the following years, Harry (41) and Meghan (45) repeatedly hit out at ⁠the royal family and the monarchy in TV interviews, a Netflix documentary series and, most notably, in ​Harry’s memoir Spare.

During a 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Meghan, whose mother is black, said an unnamed member ​of the family had asked how dark their son Archie’s skin might be. Heir-to-the-throne prince William, Harry’s elder brother, responded by denying that Britain’s royals were racist.

Harry also had some particularly barbed comments for his father Charles, and William, leading to ‌a total breakdown in their relationship.

He later criticised the British government after it ​changed his security arrangements and said the lack of automatic police protection meant he was unable to bring his children to Britain.

But relations with the king, who is undergoing treatment for an unspecified ⁠cancer, appeared to be thawing in September, and father and son met briefly for the ⁠first time in 20 months.

Last month, Harry, Meghan and ​their children visited Britain, and Charles saw his grandchildren for the first time since 2022.

While Harry and the king’s relationship might have improved, he is still barely on speaking terms with his brother.

Harry and Meghan: The controversies, key moments and conflictsOpens in new window ]

Harry had always said he wanted his children to spend more time in Britain but a former senior royal aide said the return would pose challenges for everyone involved, adding that royals who try to forge private careers are often accused by critics of exploiting their position.

The former aide said the news would be particularly difficult for William and his wife Kate, after Harry and Meghan “dumped all over the institution, the members of the family, and the country from a great height for money”.

British prime minister Andy Burnham, asked if the taxpayer would fund their security needs, said it was a private matter for the couple and he wished them well. – Reuters

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain, media reports say04.220-08-2026
2Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK with their children06.0120-08-2026
3Уже в этом месяце: принц Гарри и Меган Маркл переезжают в Великобританию0819-08-2026
4Принц Гарри и Меган Маркл возвращаются в Великобританию05.8520-08-2026
5Стало известно, почему Меган Маркл и принц Гарри возвращаются в Великобританию07.5620-08-2026
6 Harry y Meghan regresan al Reino Unido seis años después de su marcha a California 06.7320-08-2026
7"Желаем им удачи". Принц Гарри и Меган Маркл не получат охрану после возвращения в Великобританию05.5121-08-2026
8Meghan Markle cambia de planes y prepara su regreso al Reino Unido con Archie y Lilibet0510-07-2026
9Трамп: в США семье принца Гарри придется самостоятельно платить за свою охрану0029-03-2020

Классификация: Общество. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 9. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 7.97. Источник: www.irishtimes.com.