Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Public toilets reopen at Parker’s Piece in Cambridge after Labour-Lib Dem deal

Дата публикации: 19-08-2026 16:25:22

There were protests when the council chose to close toilets.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.


Published: 17:25, 19 August 2026


Google


Public toilets on Parker’s Piece in Cambridge have reopened after Labour, weakened by May’s election losses, struck a minority administration deal with Liberal Democrats demanding the move.

The toilets opened on Friday (14 August), following the Quayside facilities, which were brought back into use earlier in the summer.

Liberal Democrat councillors at the reopened toilets on Parker's PieceLiberal Democrat councillors at the reopened toilets on Parker's Piece

The move comes after a deal between the Cambridge City Council’s Labour and Liberal Democrat groups after May’s local elections, which saw the former party install the council leader.

Opposition group deputy leader Cllr Katie Porrer said: “For most people, amenities like public toilets are what their local council should be all about.

“Offering them is the mark of a civilised city. Cambridge benefits from its many visitors and it should provide properly for them as well as its own residents – thinking especially of those who need them more for no fault of their own. The closures should never have happened.”

There were protests when the city council chose to close public toilets due to financial pressures. Labour then defended closing the loos by claiming they were barely used.

However, figures later obtained by the Lib Dems showed usage collapsed only after the previous 20p coin-operated entry system became outdated – falling from 27,815 visits in 2016–17 to 4,160 before closure.

Cllr Porrer argued the drop reflected the shift to contactless payments rather than a lack of demand, saying historic figures showed strong underlying use that had not simply disappeared.

The reopened toilets currently do not require a coin to access, and a decision will be made at a later date on future charging. If that happened, it would most likely be by contactless card.

Last month, Cllr Martin Smart (Lab, King’s Hedges), cabinet member for nature, open spaces and city services said Labour had closed the toilets “in good faith” and “there were, and continue to be, pressures” on finances “that need careful management”.

He told the cabinet meeting: “Employing extra cleaning staff on a different shift can be challenging to do and in the most effective way but we’ll do our best in that regard.

“We aim to get on with this work as soon as possible and will pursue that goal.”

Cllr Porrer said: “It was a truly bad sense of priorities to look there first to make savings, especially having asked the public, and then ignoring their answer. Low usage was never an adequate reason for closing them.

“Visits were indeed only 4,000 in the last year they were open, but this was 28,000 before the pandemic, when people more commonly carried coins.

“Human needs like that don’t just change overnight. It was ridiculous that no one considered the reason for the reduced usage and adapted positively to changing times.

“So this is a great example of the ballot box getting what people wanted and we’re delighted that this happened through us. We appreciate Labour eventually bowing to the public’s wishes.”

She added: “There is still much work to be done before the city offers what it should – and the condition of the atrocious toilets on Jesus Green must be next on the council’s agenda.”



Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1‘Heatwaves and water shortages, but government’s only response is to ban single-use barbecues’012.8421-08-2026
2Resident attacks 'poor governance' as councillors approve EV parking bay-2603-07-2026
3‘I learned more on the bins than I did at Cambridge’: Health Minister becomes binman for day, 50 years after first stint3716-07-2026
458 retirement apartments plan rejected for Cambourne after host of objections015.2621-08-2026
5Loud cheers as large Derby HMO building refused5717-07-2026
6Clashes break out at protest in Norwich after seven Afghan migrants are charged with rape and child sexual abuse offences010.9327-05-2026
7Moment Robert Jenrick challenges angry sellers at car boot sale for 'stolen tools' before stallholders flee0518-11-2025
8Protesters march in Crowborough to oppose decision to use former military site to house migrants until 2030-2630-06-2026
9СМИ: в Париже полицейские перекрыли Елисейские Поля0012-06-2020
10Une pétition fait bondir le bourgmestre de Middelkerke: "Ce sont des propriétaires de résidences secondaires intolérants"06.8505-08-2026

Классификация: Общество. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 13.45. Источник: www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk.