Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Enough is enough: John Swinney and Keir Starmer united in condemnation of suspected anti-Muslim attack in Edinburgh

Дата публикации: 23-06-2026 06:27:37

John Swinney will meet faith leaders in the wake of the suspected anti-Muslim attack in Edinburgh that left five men injured as Keir Starmer said 'enough is enough'.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

John Swinney will meet faith leaders in the wake of the suspected anti-Muslim attack in Edinburgh that left five men injured as Keir Starmer said ‘enough is enough’.

The First Minister was briefed by Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Catriona Paton on the rampage and its wider implications for community cohesion.

Justice Secretary Neil Gray and equalities minister Simita Kumar were also updated on safety measures and support for those affected.

Mr Swinney will offer members of the Muslim community ‘solidarity’ and provide assurances his Government will ‘stand united against all forms of violence, division and prejudice’.

He said: ‘There is no place for race-based or faith-based violence in Scotland.

‘My thoughts are with all who have been impacted - the victims but also the communities who are understandably anxious.

‘We must all stand united in utter condemnation of the heinous attack. Anti-Muslim hatred is abhorrent, and we must not allow recent attempts to stoke fear to divide us.’

Police Scotland said a 36-year-old man had been changed in connection with a series of incidents on Friday and a report sent to prosecutors.

The BBC reported CCTV footage showed a bare-chested white man driving erratically on Leith Walk before abandoning his car across a cycle lane and striking a black man who had stepped off a tram with two large knives 

John Swinney condemned the attack and will meet with religious leaders

Counter-terrorism officers have been brought in to investigate.

The Prime Minister said he ‘will not tolerate’ anti-Muslim hatred in Scotland’s streets and condemned the trail of ‘absolutely appalling’ violence across the capital.

Sir Keir said: ‘The prejudice and discrimination that we have seen recently, targeted against individuals because of their race or religion, is unacceptable.

‘People across this country are decent, generous and live and let live.

‘Every time we see incidents, like the one that took place on Friday, inflicted on anyone because of their faith, race or identity, we must say enough is enough.’

The BBC reported CCTV footage showed a bare-chested white man driving erratically on Leith Walk before abandoning his car across a cycle lane and striking a black man who had stepped off a tram with two large knives.

The man then battered the door of a pizzeria and attacked a delivery driver on an e-bike.

The BBC said police officers arrived and detained the man within about five minutes.

Police Scotland said five men - two aged 22, the others 24, 27 and 39 - sustained a range of injuries. Three required hospital treatment, although no injuries were life-threatening.

Police officers arrived at the scene in Leith and detained the man within about five minutes

Two had reportedly attended 8pm prayer at Broomhouse Mosque before being attacked.

Police said the first report of trouble was around 8.50pm followed by a ‘fast-moving sequence of events’.

Owais Ahmed, of Broomhouse mosque, said the incident was ‘shocking’ but ‘not surprising’.

He said: ‘This is something we have seen happening throughout the UK.’

It is understood the two people attacked near the mosque have had multiple stitches, but have since been discharged.

The attacker then travelled from Sighthill to a Shell petrol station in Telford Road, where a taxi driver was confronted. An axe was put through the vehicle’s window.

Mr Ahmed said: ‘He escaped it narrowly. He was quite quick in thinking and moved his car forward so it hit the back window.’

Officers confronted and detained a man on Leith Walk around 9.30pm.

The Association of Scottish Muslims linked the attack to those who ’seem to have decided to unleash terror on humanity’, resulting in ‘innocent people getting hurt and injured’.

Leith SNP MSP Ben Macpherson said the area was ‘one of the most diverse, vibrant places in our country’ and its people ‘will not allow violence or extremism to divide us or stoke fear’.

Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar said: ‘There is no place for religious and racial hatred in our communities. We must stand together against hatred, violence and division.’

Scottish Tory leader Russell Findlay said: ‘It could have been a lot worse. We owe a debt of gratitude to our police officers.’

Glasgow South West Labour MP Dr Zubir Ahmed called it ’a reminder that Scotland is not immune to these dark forces of hatred.’

Church of Scotland moderator Rt Rev Gordon Kennedy said he was ‘deeply troubled and appalled’, adding: ‘We stand in solidarity with our Muslim friends and neighbours at this distressing time.’

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Whistleblowers attack John Swinney for 'appalling judgment' over victims minister05.128-06-2026
2What is the SNP trying to hide? John Swinney 'running scared' after joint probe into Murrell scandal ruled out... but the affair is not over yet05.1802-07-2026
3John Swinney in DENIAL over party bullying, claim SNP whistleblowers06.3125-06-2026
4First Minister bows to pressure and asks the military for help as an out-of-control wildfire rages in the Highlands08.525-07-2026
5Sir Keir Starmer says 'serious' questions remain after Peter Murrell jailed - as pressure grows on John Swinney over SNP cash probe05.8525-06-2026
6'Victims don't believe you!' Starmer faces calls for Jess Phillips to quit over grooming gangs 'cover-up' after four survivors step down010.8222-10-2025
7Even SNP MP admits: Hats off to Tories on by-election victory... their message on oil and gas was strong09.121-06-2026
8STEPHEN DAISLEY: No prizes for guessing who Stephen Flynn's barb was intended for... Keir Starmer isn't the only leader having to watch his back08.6219-06-2026
9ANOTHER SNP HOSPITAL FIASCO! John Swinney's government faces lawsuit over abandoned £2billion Monklands plan09.8629-06-2026
10Starmer says 'serious' questions remain after Peter Murrell jailed06.6625-06-2026

Классификация: Международные. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 6.64. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.