Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Racism claims mar chaotic press conference before Teofimo Lopez and Ryan Garcia take over Times Square

Дата публикации: 05-03-2025 00:42:48

'A Times Square Takeover' Lopez called it at the opening press conference for a landmark card for May 2, when the deep pockets of Saudi Arabia will shut down the busiest block in Manhattan.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Teofimo Lopez was mobbed as he stepped out of his car in dark dungarees and a wide brim hat. He shuffled through the gaggle of fans and iPhones and iPads. He stepped through the metal detector, headed downstairs and up on to the stage where he vowed to light up New York City.

‘A Times Square Takeover’ Lopez called it at the opening press conference for a landmark card for May 2, when the deep pockets of Saudi Arabia will shut down the busiest block in Manhattan.

The 27-year-old Brooklyn native drowned out his opponent, Arnold Barboza Jr., as well as two of the biggest stars in American boxing – Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney, who will both return to the ring in New York, albeit in separate fights.

But Lopez failed to silence the accusations of racism that have followed him over weeks, ever since unbeaten lightweight Keyshawn Davis was sent a box containing bananas and a watermelon.

Lopez invited suspicions that he was behind the stunt, posting a social media video in which he was eating a banana and laughing while watching Davis condemn the package.

On Tuesday, at the Palladium Times Square just off Broadway, Lopez was heckled from the floor by rival Richardson Hendricks. He was then pressed by the media over the tasteless stunt. His answers veered between offensive and provocative.

Teofimo Lopez and Arnold Barboza Jr. come face-to-face ahead of their fight on May 2

The rivals squared up in Times Square, where they will meet in a landmark event

Ryan Garcia (L) will also feature on the historic card, when he faces Rolando 'Rolly' Romero

‘There ain’t nobody racist over here, man. As a matter of fact, pick up a banana for me,’ he said at one point. He claimed he had been misinterpreted. And then he closed with this: ‘Jesus was black.’

It was a grim way to promote what could be an astonishing spectacle. Among the adjectives used to describe this plan to take over Times Square? ‘Visionary… crazy…iconic… insane.’

Quite how they plan to pull it off? We’ll find out. All we know for now: Lopez will defend his super lightweight crown against Barboza, while Haney will face Jose Ramirez and Garcia takes on Rolando 'Rolly' Romero.

Three enticing fights and the first of perhaps many shows at some of the world’s most iconic landmarks. Alcatraz Island, the Roman Colosseum and the Eiffel Tower have all been floated as possible venues for future fights.

On this card, Garcia and Haney are back in the ring for the first time since they faced off in Brooklyn last spring. Garcia sparked fears with his troubling antics ahead of the fight. He then dropped Haney several times en route to a stunning victory.

The result was changed to a no contest after it emerged that the 26-year-old had failed a couple of anti-doping tests. The plan is for them to meet again in October, with the winner slated to face Lopez.

On Tuesday, Haney didn’t say much at all. Garcia, meanwhile, is reborn – apparently. He showed contrition for his past antics and insisted he didn’t want anyone to follow his lead.

‘I've always had those problems,’ he said. ‘And I want to just show everybody that you can come back from anything.

Devin Haney (L) and Jose Ramirez (R) pose in the center of Manhattan ahead of the May 2 card

Haney and Garcia will return to the ring for the first time since their chaotic fight last April

‘I want to show my dedication to sport and just be a true professional. I admit my wrongs, and I don't want anybody to, take my actions of drinking and smoking before the fight and think that's a way to handle yourself…

‘So I came here to change that, and this is my first fight to get respect back and then prove everybody that it was in a fluke.’

Eventually, though, the mask slipped. Lopez had trash talked and interrupted and snored during this press conference before Garcia eventually snapped.

‘We don’t give a f***, bro, I’m tired of hearing this s***,’ he told Lopez. ‘Shut the f*** up.’ It’s a sentiment a few people had shared on Tuesday and in recent weeks.

The fighters then headed outside, to Times Square, to face off amid the traffic of a typically Tuesday. Soon they will be tasked with bringing this place to a halt.  

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Eddie Hearn reveals how shock Ryan Garcia vs Conor Benn super-fight could be made ahead of historic Times Square card012.4802-05-2025
2Details confirmed for Ryan Garcia's world title shot against Mario Barrios after controversial two-year stretch011.9913-01-2026
3Ryan Garcia lifts the lid on his chaotic year, jail stint, mental-health spiral and £15m Jake Paul offer as he vows to destroy Barrios and chase a Rolly Romero rematch07.0101-12-2025
4Oscar De La Hoya drops his foot in it and has to be saved by Ryan Garcia during a HILARIOUS exchange at the press conference for his comeback fight after a year-long suspension07.5605-03-2025
5Why this innocent-looking photo led Aussie fighter to claim one of the world's best boxers 'doesn't like white people'013.4503-04-2025
6Ryan Garcia spotted in TEARS shortly after his shock defeat by Rolly Romero in Times Square09.8303-05-2025
7Conor Benn sends ominous threat to Chris Eubank Jr after having an egg smashed into his face at the launch press conference for their all-British blockbuster09.4527-02-2025
8Tony Bellew hammers 'disgraceful' Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury plan over controversial venue07.5125-07-2026
9Kristian Prenga’s pal has predicted a shock vs Anthony Joshua - he’s not wrong010.3624-07-2026
10Нурмагомедов и Порье проведут пресс-конференцию 5 июля в США0002-07-2019

Классификация: Спорт. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 8.36. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.