Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Outrage at Labour deal that could see more Ulster veterans on trial

Дата публикации: 20-09-2025 00:36:12

The new 'framework', follows on from Labour's commitment to repeal the Conservatives ' 2023 Legacy Act.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

By GLEN KEOGH, SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT and MARK NICOL, DEFENCE EDITOR

Published: 19:46 EDT, 19 September 2025 | Updated: 20:36 EDT, 19 September 2025

Veterans branded a new Troubles deal between Britain and Ireland a 'betrayal' after it emerged it could pave the way for more soldiers who served in Northern Ireland to be hauled through the courts.

The new 'framework', announced at Hillsborough Castle, near Belfast, by Northern Ireland Secretary Hilary Benn and Irish Tanaiste (deputy prime minister) Simon Harris, follows on from Labour's commitment to repeal the Conservatives' 2023 Legacy Act.

The Tories' legislation, introduced by then veterans' minister Johnny Mercer, halted scores of civil cases and inquests and offered conditional immunity for those accused of Troubles crimes in exchange for co-operation with a new truth recovery body. But it was declared unlawful by the High Court in Belfast, last November.

Former Lance Corporal Soldier F, currently on trial for his involvement in the notorious 1972 Bloody Sunday killings in Londonderry, was charged prior to the 2023 Act.

The agreement with the Irish government, following nine months of negotiations, ends immunity for terrorists – infamously offered by the Blair government to 187 pro-IRA figures – and puts in place six 'protections and rights' for veterans. But it ends their immunity, too.

Soldiers who are now in their 60s and 70s could face fresh inquiries leading to criminal charges decades after the events in question.

Ex-SAS reservist and Tory backbencher Sir David Davis described the move as a path to 'victory for the IRA'.

Meanwhile Paul Young, a former member of the Blues and Royals who works with the Northern Ireland Veterans Movement, called the plans a 'betrayal of those who served with honour during the Troubles and a distortion of justice for victims of terrorism'.

Pictured: A soldier and protester on Bloody Sunday. Former Lance Corporal Soldier F (not pictured), currently on trial for his involvement in the notorious 1972 Bloody Sunday killings in Londonderry, was charged prior to the 2023 Act

Former Tory MP and Army captain Mr Mercer told the Daily Mail it was 'hard to watch this Government steadily walk back every gain I made for veterans over the previous five years'.

Tory defence spokesman James Cartlidge said: 'Labour's announcement opens the floodgates to a new wave of vexatious legal action against our veterans, threatening the Army's morale just as we face the most profound military threats since the Cold War.'

Yesterday's announcement came as a bitter blow to veterans who wanted an end to persecutions over operations against terrorists decades ago. A number of new inquests, which had been stopped under the previous legislation, will now go ahead and civil cases can also be reopened.

Cases which could be examined include a daring SAS mission to prevent IRA troops targeting the Loughgall police station in 1987.

Eight terrorists were killed by troops who stopped a digger truck carrying explosives in its bucket. Afterwards, republican groups complained the terrorists had not been given sufficient opportunity to surrender.

Such cases are at the centre of the Daily Mail's Stop The SAS Betrayal campaign to improve human rights for soldiers. More than 200,000 people have signed a petition calling for veterans to be protected from persecution.

David Davis said: 'One such inquest will likely concern the events at Loughgall. If that happens, it will be read as a victory for the IRA. At Loughgall the heavily armed IRA gang attempted to murder police officers. The SAS's actions were found to be entirely legal by the Director of Public Prosecutions.'

Lt Col Richard Williams, a former SAS commanding officer and Ulster veteran, said: 'This is another hard punch in the face for the veterans and yet more sovereignty being lost. The only people happy with this will be Sinn Fein/IRA and the lawyers.'

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Labour accused of paving way for legal protections for IRA terrorists by repealing Troubles Legacy Act08.6527-10-2025
2Andy Burnham warned 'basket case' Britain cannot withstand any more tax hikes as economy flounders-2322-06-2026
3Labour triggers Belfast attack censorship row as it sets out plans for new crackdown on social media content 'in times of crisis'07.410-06-2026
4Reform UK plans to end prosecutions of Troubles veterans 'to match what was given to the IRA under Tony Blair'-2625-01-2026
5NIGEL FARAGE: This is the team to boot Starmer and his rag-tag gang of socialists out of power8618-02-2026
6 Who is leading the race to replace Sir Keir Starmer? 08.9815-05-2026
7New inheritance tax comes into force amid warnings that NI farmers stand to be ‘disproportionately affected’01006-04-2026
8Thousands of criminals to avoid jail under new 'soft justice' Bill that will see short-term sentences abolished010.9324-08-2025
9Red Wall Tories turn on Boris over Commons sleaze debacle07.0909-11-2021

Классификация: Международные. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 9. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 12. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.