Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Man, 30, is charged after 'knife attack' in Belfast

Дата публикации: 09-06-2026 19:25:10

A 30 year-old man arrested in connection with the Belfast stabbing attack has been charged with attempted murder.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

By LETTICE BROMOVSKY, NEWS REPORTER

Published: 14:06 EDT, 9 June 2026 | Updated: 15:25 EDT, 9 June 2026

A 30 year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after the 'knife attack' incident in Belfast

The Police Service of Northern Ireland has confirmed that he will appear at Belfast Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, although they have not yet released his name. 

PSNI Chief Constable Jon Boutcher said the suspect is believed to have travelled from Sudan to Paris, and then from Paris to Dublin before taking a bus to Belfast in February 2023 - taking advantage of the Common Travel Area. 

There, he immediately claimed asylum, before he was given leave to remain in the UK in September 2023, lasting for five years. 

Social media footage shows a man standing astride a bloodied victim holding a knife to his throat and his fist in the air. 

Heroic bystanders then intervene, with one man hitting the suspect with a hurling stick. Police said a kitchen knife was recovered from the scene on Kinnaird Avenue, in the north of Belfast. They do not believe the attack was terror related. 

Social media footage shows a man standing astride a bloodied victim holding a knife to his throat and his fist in the air 

Heroic members of the public rushed forward to intervene, with one hitting the attacker with a hurling stick  

Police have declared the attack a 'critical incident' and businesses are increasing security due to fear of unrest tonight. 

Officers originally said the suspect was believed to be Somali, but later confirmed he is actually from Sudan.

Witnesses described seeing the victim 'screaming' before he was taken away in an ambulance with his head covered in bandages. 

As No10 called for calm, Sir Keir Starmer described the incident as 'sickening' and said there would be 'absolutely no tolerance for abhorrent scenes of violence like this on our streets'.

He added: 'My thoughts are first and foremost with the victim, and I thank the first responders, including members of the public who intervened.'

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Man (32) arrested following a stabbing incident in Belfast city centre 09.7626-07-2026
2Pictured: Victim seriously injured in 'asylum seeker knife attack' in Belfast as Sudanese man charged with attempted murder07.5610-06-2026
3Belfast 'knife attack victim' was doused in aftershave and set on fire by drug dealer during vicious attack in Scottish flat 25 years ago010.3911-06-2026
4Man arrested in connection with bus fire during Belfast riots earlier this month011.9429-06-2026
5Man attempts to stab PSNI officer with ‘long sharp item’ at Co Antrim hospital08.421-06-2026
6Man arrested after being spotted with 'knife in waistband' in Co Armagh08.9806-08-2026
7Man found guilty of attempting to murder three children in Dublin city centre attack-5701-07-2026
8Bangor man charged with attempted murder in stabbing0525-06-2026
9Man appears in court charged with manslaughter of Carl Holland in Belfast0515-07-2026
10Former British paratrooper on trial accused of shooting dead two men and wounding five others on Bloody Sunday more than FIFTY YEARS ago08.3515-09-2025

Классификация: Происшествия. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 13.72. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.