The WNBA denounced what it called “bad-faith” criticism Wednesday as the league faces growing pressure to establish a clearer policy governing transgender athletes and eligibility […]
Source
The WNBA denounced what it called “bad-faith” criticism Wednesday as the league faces growing pressure to establish a clearer policy governing transgender athletes and eligibility for women’s professional basketball.
The controversy centers on language in the WNBA’s collective bargaining agreement stating that “only players who are women are eligible to play in the WNBA.” The agreement, however, does not provide a more specific definition based on biological sex or gender identity, according to The Associated Press.
The issue was discussed Wednesday during a virtual meeting of the league’s anti-hate task force, which also addressed social media attacks and other matters.
“There are no immediate eligibility matters affecting the WNBA, and we strongly denounce the bad-faith efforts to use these topics to demean or marginalize others,” the league said in a statement.
Critics argue the absence of a biological-sex requirement leaves the league vulnerable to challenges over who qualifies to compete in women’s basketball.
Former NBA players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White recently highlighted that uncertainty by declaring themselves eligible for the WNBA draft after saying they identify as women. Their announcements appeared intended to challenge the league to clarify its rules rather than launch conventional attempts at professional comebacks.
The dispute intensified after Indiana Fever guard Sophie Cunningham voiced support for keeping biological males out of women’s sports. Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve responded by publicly supporting transgender youth, calling the issue one of human rights.
WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert acknowledged the unresolved questions in a memo sent to team presidents and general managers last week.
“We recognize that this is a complex and nuanced topic, and we will continue to have important conversations with all of you and the Players Association in the weeks and months ahead,” Engelbert wrote.
She said the league also plans additional discussions and listening sessions with team officials.