Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Tennis legend Pat Rafter sends Alex de Minaur a worrying warning as he tries to break 49-year title drought at the Australian Open

Дата публикации: 20-01-2025 05:25:13

Alex de Minaur had only dropped one set at the Australian Open as he headed into his clash with America's Alex Michelsen on Sunday.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Pat Rafter is warning Alex de Minaur to batten down the hatches as the nation's great white hope strives to enter uncharted waters at the Australian Open.

De Minaur squares off with American young gun Alex Michelsen on Monday looking to become the first Australian since Lleyton Hewitt 20 years ago to reach four consecutive grand slam quarter-finals.

After dismantling Michelsen 6-1- 6-0 6-2 at last year's French Open to start that glorious grand slam run, de Minaur will enter the rematch a warm favourite to progress to the last eight in Melbourne for a first time.

But in taking out 2023 Open runner-up Stefanos Tsitsipas and 19th-seeded former semi-finalist Karen Khachanov already this campaign, 20-year-old Michelsen has proven he has the firepower to blow de Minaur off the court.

Former world No.1 Rafter, a semi-finalist at Melbourne Park in 2001, is backing de Minaur to advance, while cautioning the eighth seed to be wary.

'I back him against Michelsen,' Rafter said on Sunday.

Alex De Minaur squares off with American young gun Alex Michelsen on Monday

Pat Rafter says the Aussie will need to be careful with the American who boasts a big game

'I know Michelson's got a really big game. Can he keep it together against someone like Alex? I think it's a bad match-up for Michelsen personally.

'But this guy's got a really big game and, if he can keep it together, he can cause a lot of destruction, I think Michelsen.'

An under-the-weather de Minaur lost to Michelsen in their only other previous meeting, last year in Los Cabos, and is suitably wary of the world No.42.

'He's been playing really well. He's a dangerous opponent with a lot of confidence now. He's taken some big scalps this week, so I'm ready for a battle,' de Minaur said.

'He's going to go out there with no fear. I'm going to do my best to make it difficult for him.'

Michelsen remembers his win over de Minaur fondly, but knows he may need to red-line to repeat the upset over the Open's eighth seed.

'I went out there and didn't miss a ball for an hour and a half or however long that match went. I couldn't miss,' he said.

'I was playing way above my level at the time. It's always nice when that happens. It's pretty rare.

Alex Michelsen shapes as a big threat to de Minaur in the Australian Open fourth round

Alex de Minaur will be looking to make his fourth consecutive grand slam quarter-final

'That's what happened last time, just I couldn't miss a ball.'

A quarter-finalist at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open last year, de Minaur has fallen in the fourth round in Melbourne on his past three visits.

But the 25-year-old feels he learnt a valuable lesson during his four-set third-round escape on Saturday against Francisco Cerulondo.

'Looking back at this, I reckon this is probably the first match that I've played here in Oz where I didn't feel comfortable,' de Minaur said.

'I felt all of a sudden a little bit of pressure playing. I didn't know what to do.

'I just told myself, 'Yeah, go out there and compete'.

'A part of me knew that at some point there was going to be always a match where pressure was going to be there and the nerves were going to be there, kind of the expectation was going to be there.

'I knew it was going to be a part of it. I just told myself to go out there, compete and, Jeez, I'd rather win ugly any day over losing pretty.

'Ultimately I lived to fight another day. My next one I'll make sure I bring a better level.'

Should de Minaur survive his next test, he will play either defending champion and world No.1 Jannik Sinner or 13th seed Holger Rune on Wednesday for a place in the semi-finals.

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1See Alex de Minaur's touching gesture for girlfriend Katie Boulter after the Aussie's big French Open win was hit by controversy08.1729-05-2024
2Everything to look out for on day one of the Australian Open Rafael Nadal Rod Laver Arena Melbourne09.4915-01-2023
3Why a footy legend will be a VERY surprising guest in Jannik Sinner's box at the Australian Open final07.5828-01-2024
4Даниил Медведев сыграет с Вавринкой в четвертом круге Australian Open0025-01-2020
5Australian Open стартует без Новака Джоковича0016-01-2022
6Australian Open match is suspended after ball kid throws up on the court09.7220-01-2026
7Чесноков: участие в квалификации не помешает Карацеву хорошо выступить на Roland Garros0027-05-2023
8New US Open 'disrespect' row: Fired-up seed Stefanos Tsitsipas gives his underdog opponent an earful over his behaviour after he knocked him out017.1729-08-2025
9Australian Open: Serena Williams's husband reignites Ion Tiriac feud08.2117-02-2021
10Inside Paula Badosa's battle with chronic pain as former world No2 prepares to play her 'soulmate' Aryna Sabalenka in the biggest match of her career - supported by fellow tennis star boyfriend Stefanos Tsitsipas09.4922-01-2025

Классификация: . Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 6.2. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.