Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Strike on Abu-Duhur could provoke military clash between Israel, Turkey, Syria — US envoy

Дата публикации: 19-08-2026 15:00:49

According to Tom Barrack, the lack of clear channels of communication between the states could have made the situation "much more serious"

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

TEL AVIV, August 19. /TASS/. Israel's August 18 air strike on Syria’s Abu Duhur airfield could have triggered a sharp escalation, including a direct military conflict between Israel, Turkey, and Syria, Tom Barrack, the US president’s special envoy for Syria and Iraq and the American ambassador to Turkey, said in an interview with the I24 TV channel.

In his opinion, the air strike ""carried a real risk of rapidly escalating to a direct military confrontation between Israel and Turkey, as well as with Syria. The Turkish forces did not know that Israeli aircraft were on their way to this specific Syrian base, nor did they know what their objective was. Therefore, they might have decided to scramble their own fighter jets, believing they themselves were under attack," Barrack explained. He described these events as "serious and worrying. However, we are relieved that no lives were lost and that the situation did not escalate."

According to Barrack, the lack of clear channels of communication between the states could have made the situation "much more serious." This state of affairs, in his opinion, needs to be changed.

"We are currently conducting quiet talks with all relevant parties regarding the renewal of a mechanism to prevent friction between Israel and Syria. Turkey can be invited to participate, either directly or indirectly."

Earlier, the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Syria was "close to disrupting" the security status quo with Israel, having allowed the deployment of Turkish troops at an airbase near Aleppo. Israel "will not allow threats to its security," but "is ready to return to the agreed status quo," Netanyahu’s office added. The office noted that Israel "repeatedly warned Syria that the deployment of Turkish forces there would pose a threat," but, according to its claims, "Syria decided to ignore these warnings."

Earlier, the Syria TV channel said that on Tuesday the Israeli Air Force attacked the military airfield in Idlib Province, causing material damage. There is no information about casualties among civilians. AFP previously reported that unidentified aircraft carried out several strikes on Abu Duhur. According to Reuters, the runway and storage facilities were attacked.

In response to a request from TASS, the Israel Defense Forces declined to comment on media reports about Israeli aircraft striking a military airfield in northwestern Syria.

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1US envoy: Israeli strikes in Syria risked escalation with Turkey04.9818-08-2026
2США работают над механизмом деэскалации между Израилем, Турцией и Сирией05.4818-08-2026
3Tehran targets Bahrain and Kuwait after U.S. strikes-2608-07-2026
4Israel’s strikes on Syria 'unnecessary escalation', US special envoy says08.3618-08-2026
5Airstrikes have paused and talks are pressing forward. But can the US and Iran take the off-ramp?010.3626-07-2026
6Израильское ТВ: Удар по аэродрому в Сирии стал предупреждением для Турции012.1519-08-2026
7Главы Минобороны Турции и РФ обсудили по телефону ситуацию в Идлибе0009-01-2019
8Турция обеспокоена возможными последствиями нападения США на Иран0022-06-2025
9Главы МИД Турции и РФ обсудили по телефону напряженность между Арменией и Азербайджаном0027-09-2020

Классификация: Международные. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 9. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 9.8. Источник: tass.com.