Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

'Who's that?!': Samuel Eto'o asked Tottenham's Sebastien Bassong about Gareth Bale

Дата публикации: 10-01-2023 11:29:08

Bale - who announced his retirement in an emotional post on Monday - shot to stardom in 2010 after notching a second-half hat-trick against the reigning Champions League holders.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

'Who's that?!': Ex-Tottenham defender Sebastien Bassong reveals on-field conversation with Samuel Eto'o after Gareth Bale ran riot at the San Siro with iconic hat-trick against Inter Milan

By JAMES COHEN, SPORTS REPORTER

Published: 06:25 EDT, 10 January 2023 | Updated: 06:29 EDT, 10 January 2023

Ex-Tottenham defender Sebastien Bassong has revealed an on-field conversation with Samuel Eto'o after Gareth Bale's iconic hat-trick against Inter Milan. 

Bale - who announced his retirement in an emotional post on Monday - shot to stardom in 2010 after notching a second-half hat-trick against the reigning Champions League holders in Spurs' 4-3 defeat.

Recalling the match, Bassong recounts how Bale gave the team 'hope' to recover their four-goal deficit and spoke on the bewilderment of Cameroon legend Eto'o.

Gareth Bale made himself known with a tremendous hat-trick against Inter Milan in 2010

Sebastien Bassong (L) has revealed an on-field conversation with Samuel Eto'o in the match

Speaking on BBC World Service, Bassong said: 'He [Bale] just took the game on, on his own. I remember Samuel Eto'o asking me on the pitch: "Who's that?!". 

'I said: "You'll soon find out". It was crazy to see how easy it was for him to do whatever he wanted to do. At San Siro, he lifted the game up, changed the whole scenario and gave us hope.'

During the iconic match, Spurs found themselves four goals down at the half-time break and down to 10-men after Heurelho Gomes had been sent off early on.

In their first time ever competing in the Champions League, hope looked lost for Harry Redknapp's side - who were up against the reigning champions of the competition.

However, a blistering hat-trick from a 21-year-old Bale spared Tottenham's blushes and also inspired them to beat Inter Milan 2-1 in the return leg at White Hart Lane.

Eto'o had opened the scoring from the spot after Heurelho Gomes was dismissed

Tottenham were 4-0 down before Bale scored a second-half hat-trick at the San Siro

Tottenham went on to progress top of the group - with wins over Werden Bremen and FC Twente - in their first time featuring in the tournament.

They played Inter Milan's fierce rivals, AC Milan, in the following stage of the tournament - which they won 1-0 on aggregate thanks to a Peter Crouch strike in the away leg. 

They were eventually knocked out of the competition in the quarter-finals at the hand of Real Madrid. They were beaten 4-0 in Spain and 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

The Welshman was unable to prevent the drubbing they received from giants Real Madrid

The former Santiago Bernabeu star called to an end to his illustrious career - which saw him win five Champions Leagues, three LaLigas and three Club World Cups - in an emotional post on social media.  

The former Real Madrid and Tottenham forward will retire as Wales' all-time top goalscorer and most capped player in history - with 111 appearances in total. 

In his retirement statement, Bale wrote a message just for Wales fans to reiterate his passion for the national team and refused to rule out a potential return. 

Bale confirmed his decision to retire from football in an emotional post on Monday afternoon

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Gareth Bale weighs in on the Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo GOAT debate and doesn't hesitate when giving his answer in viral video010.4120-09-2024
2Should Tottenham's Harry Kane look at Gareth Bale and wonder what could have been?011.211-01-2023
3Gareth Bale was told his Wales role 'would change' before he decided to retire06.9410-01-2023
4Gareth Bale reveals the real reason he quit football aged 33 as former Real Madrid and Spurs star opens up on family health emergency011.9109-12-2025
5Gareth Bale set for return to football two years after former Tottenham and Real Madrid star announced his retirement08.0410-09-2025
6Gareth Bale 'enjoying retirement' and won't be joining Wales coaching staff, says manager Rob Page08.6203-06-2023
7Gareth Bale returns to LAFC for MLS Cup championship ring ceremony07.2305-03-2023
8Gareth Bale admits he's 'LOVING' retirement and jokes about how much golf he's playing since calling time on his glittering career09.927-11-2024
9Gareth Bale's career could have been even BETTER, insists Julen Lopetegui010.3510-01-2023

Классификация: Спорт. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 9. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 15.49. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.