A homicide investigation took a major step forward after detectives arrested an 18-year-old in connection with a shooting that left one man dead and another hospitalized. NEWPORT NEWS, VA — An 18-year-old Newport News man has been arrested in connection with a fatal shooting that killed a 19-year-old and seriously injured another man earlier this month, according to police. The shooting occurred at about 8:48 p.m. on Friday, July 17, in the 0 block of Teardrop Lane. When officers arrived, they found two adult men suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. One victim was inside a vehicle, while the second was
A homicide investigation took a major step forward after detectives arrested an 18-year-old in connection with a shooting that left one man dead and another hospitalized.
NEWPORT NEWS, VA — An 18-year-old Newport News man has been arrested in connection with a fatal shooting that killed a 19-year-old and seriously injured another man earlier this month, according to police.
The shooting occurred at about 8:48 p.m. on Friday, July 17, in the 0 block of Teardrop Lane.
When officers arrived, they found two adult men suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. One victim was inside a vehicle, while the second was found on the ground nearby. Both were transported to Riverside Regional Medical Center.
Police said one of the victims later died from his injuries. He was identified as Jason Ernesto Martinez Hernandez, 19, of Newport News.
The second victim remains hospitalized in stable condition.
On Tuesday, July 28, Newport News police arrested Edward Maurice Barcus, 18, of Newport News, in connection with the shooting.
Photo: police arrest teen in deadly newport news double shooting
Barcus has been charged with aggravated malicious wounding, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and other weapons offenses.
Police said the investigation remains ongoing.
The charges are allegations, and Barcus is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.
Key Points
About the Author
Chris QuigleyChris Quigley is a Staff Writer and Community News Correspondent for Shore News Network, where she covers local government, public safety, community affairs, politics, and issues impacting residents throughout New Jersey. Her reporting focuses on delivering timely, accurate, and relevant news that helps readers stay informed about the communities in which they live and work.
As a member of the Shore News Network editorial team, Quigley works closely with public officials, community leaders, first responders, and local organizations to provide factual coverage of breaking news, municipal government, public policy, and events affecting New Jersey residents. Her work highlights both major developments and the local stories that shape communities across the state.