More than 300 people are still missing, Colombia’s disaster management unit said on Aug 15.
BOGOTA, Colombia – Hopes of finding survivors of the earthquake that struck western Colombia five days ago were dwindling on Aug 15, as more bodies were pulled from buildings that collapsed due to the 7.4-magnitude quake that left hundreds dead or missing.
The earthquake struck just after 7.30am in San Jose del Palmar, toppling apartment buildings and damaging schools, churches, hospitals and homes from the Pacific port Buenaventura to Colombia’s coffee-growing region and major western cities.
Around 290 people have died, with 140 more missing and nearly 4,000 more injured, according to official estimates late on Aug 15. Over two-thirds of the deaths were concentrated in the cities of Cali and Pereira.
“We have only one site where there are signs of life,” Cali fire captain Alberto Hernandez told Reuters.
“At the other locations, we are unfortunately in the phase of recovering bodies.”
With over two million inhabitants, Cali is Colombia’s third-biggest city. Rescue workers continued through the morning to sift through mountains of shattered concrete, bricks and metal to find those who remain unaccounted for, while others were cleaning their neighbourhoods armed with brooms and shovels.
Hernandez said they would likely finish recovering bodies by Aug 16, after which they will begin using heavy equipment to clear the debris.
“Even though the 72-hour mark has passed, we’re going to keep working relentlessly and without rest, as if those 70 people (still missing) were still alive,” Cali mayor Alejandro Eder told a press conference. “Miracles do happen.”
Juana Catano, who coordinates a citizens’ action group, told Reuters efforts were now focused on recovery and rebuilding. “We are in a time of overwhelming mourning,” she said.
Rescuers from the US, Israel and Colombia working in the city of Cali on Aug 15.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Hundreds sleep outdoorsHowever, hopes have dwindled after the deaths of people who had become national symbols.
Daniela Largo, 32, died in hospital after surviving 36 hours under the rubble, and 24-year-old Juan Felipe Giraldo was found dead after an intense operation at a collapsed hotel.
Giraldo, whose father spent days by the collapsed building waiting for news, had been set to get married on Aug 16. He leaves behind a two-year-old son.
Thousands of people gathered in the cities of Medellin and Bogota to donate food, clothing and medicine to donation centres for distribution to areas devastated by the quake.
In the city of Pereira, deep in Colombia’s coffee-growing region, hundreds of people spent the night on mats or in tents at a makeshift shelter in a park, where coordinators said there was a lack of blankets, tents, hygiene products and food.
A report by the disaster management unit found that thousands of homes were completely destroyed by the Aug 10 quake, leaving hundreds sleeping outdoors in shelters and waiting to find out whether damaged apartments are at risk of collapsing.
Colombia has recorded 269 aftershocks since the quake, piling on dangers for rescue workers and volunteers still sifting through the unstable rubble.
Request for tariff reliefThe disaster became the first major challenge for President Abelardo de la Espriella, a political newcomer who took office a week ago and will now oversee relief efforts and reconstruction in the wake of one of Colombia’s worst natural disasters.
He has faced some criticism over his handling of the initial hours, particularly for not accepting offers of rescue teams from some countries. The authorities later received some response teams from Israel and the United States.
Earthquake-damaged buildings in Pereira, Colombia, on Aug 14.
PHOTO: EPA
The recent election victory of the right-wing president, who campaigned on a platform of tougher austerity and security measures, marks a rapprochement with Washington which has floated joint strikes on armed groups operating in the country.
De la Espriella said on Aug 15 he spoke with US President Donald Trump in a 10-minute phone call, during which Trump expressed his condolences and he requested the US temporarily suspend tariffs on Colombian goods to help business owners.
The US Department of Commerce did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
“Today, more than ever, the alliance between Colombia and the United States is essential for the reconstruction of our beloved nation,” de la Espriella said on X. REUTERS
| # | Наименование новости | Тональность | Информативность | Дата публикации |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | Schweres Erdbeben in Kolumbien: Mindestens 265 Tote, viele Menschen vermisst | 0 | 11.72 | 13-08-2026 |
| 2 | Miraculous rescue gives moment of hope in Colombia after devastating earthquake | 0 | 11.72 | 12-08-2026 |
| 3 | Colombia’s earthquake death toll reaches 281 — media | 0 | 26.67 | 14-08-2026 |
| 4 | Число погибших после землетрясения в Колумбии возросло до 285 | 0 | 23.33 | 14-08-2026 |
| 5 | Число погибших в результате землетрясения в Колумбии возросло до 294 | 0 | 20.51 | 15-08-2026 |
| 6 | Around-the-clock search continues to reach victims of the 7.4 earthquake in Colombia | 0 | 17.97 | 13-08-2026 |
| 7 | Число жертв землетрясения в Колумбии достигло 281 | 0 | 24.29 | 14-08-2026 |
| 8 | Colombia earthquake death toll rises to 294, UNGRD says | 0 | 32.22 | 15-08-2026 |
| 9 | Colombia earthquake death toll rises to 287 | 0 | 30 | 14-08-2026 |